Schools in our district are more than just places of learning – they are close-knit communities that provide support and positivity for our students, staff, and their families. Parent Advisory Councils (PACs) contribute significantly to fostering and maintaining these connected communities. Involvement in your School's PAC can help you stay connected with your kids and the school! As a parent of a student in a BC Public School, you are already a member of your school PAC but getting more involved can be so rewarding! With the 23/24 school year underway, here are 5 reasons to consider getting involved with your school’s Parent Advisory Council (PAC):
1. Have a seat at the table : Whether you are an elected member or a participating parent, you get a vote and can give voice to school budgets, decisions, and programs that directly impact your children.
2. Exercise your passion : Whether it’s building an outdoor learning centre, launching a new sports academy, or adopting a school-based healthy eating program, the possibilities are endless to contribute to projects that will enhance your child’s educational experience.
3. Stay in the know : When you participate in your PAC, you’re at the front-end of decisions, ideas, and events coming from the school principal. Advance knowledge gives you the opportunity to influence the direction of decisions that might impact your children.
4. Support those who support your children : We’re so fortunate in the Okanagan to have teachers, principals, support workers, and administrative staff all working together to provide a world-class public education experience. Parents who support and recognize staff contribute to students’ educational experiences and outcomes.
5. Be a role model for your child : By showing up as a parent volunteer — even for an hour or two a month — you model powerful values such as community service, democratic participation, and civic duty. Your children get to see you at your best…building a stronger school community for them!
It’s never too late to join your school PAC. Whether it’s mid-year or your child’s last year of high school, PACs are a welcoming place that will embrace your unique talents.
Joining your PAC is straightforward — contact your current PAC leadership or reach out to your school principal to express your interest.